Minggu, 24 Februari 2019

Learner Analysis: Know Your Audience is Tremendous

author photo
Have you ever watch a TV program in a coffee shop? most Indonesian especially Acehnese would probably answer YES, I did.


What do you feel when you are watching the show? awkward? not interested? or some kind of living on a different planet?

If you are teenagers, then you would ask the owner to change to other channels. If you are an adult, you probably asked to a sports channel. If you are politicians, you probably asked to a news channel. As the result, the owner of the coffee shop will get frustrated.

What we can learn from the aforementioned lesson?

AUDIENCE!

Either as the owners of a coffee shop, an instructional designer, motivators, teachers, blogger, youtubers, so on. You need to put much attention into who you are speaking to.



LEARNER ANALYSIS.

According to Wikiversity, learner analysis is the process of identifying who your audience is; their demographics, prior knowledge, physiological, and affective and social needs.

Left
pic/www.wikiversity.org

Why learner analysis is important? it is because by understanding who is our target learners so that we can design an instructional event that is best suited to our audiences. In addition, it is important to understand the context in which the instruction will take place and the context in which the learners will eventually use their skill. 

Through my personal life as an instructional designer who meets a huge client in different places and areas, I always take into consideration who is the target readers (if they asked me to review an event on my personal website or sent an article to a newspaper). If they asked me to deliver some speech in a seminar or talk show, spontaneously I asked the committee, who is the major audience, age, gender, education knowledge, the languages they might know/use, etc.

Before diving into the Instructional Design course that assisted by Dr. Vallera at Lehigh University, I didn't know much about the Instructional Design Model. The lack of information about ID Model was blocking my way to moved forward quickly.

At least, there are 8 models that we can use:

pic/Dr.Vallera

To be honest, I could not state which one is the best. Personally, I loved all of these. It is because I would like to use these ID models based on the case that might found by me. For instance: if I return to my previous work that is as a lecture, I would probably use ADDIE, Iterative Design, System's Planning, and Kemps to support my work. Not limited to that, in other cases, I would probably use ADDIE, Dick and Carey, and ASSURE for my models.

Then, different ID model approaches differently. For sure, all of these use identifies who is the audience.

This post have 0 komentar


EmoticonEmoticon

Next article Next Post
Previous article Previous Post

Advertisement